Tuesday 30 September 2008

Oh. My. God!

09 September 200822:05:27 o'clock BST Feeling Exhausted Hearing The merry hum of the dishwasher


Well hasn't it been a week or what? I cannot recall having been this busy (nearly triped busty there!) for aeons! Who would have thought that losing the one and a half days (Yeah! Like I ever actually got the full time!) out of class for prep could make such a hoorendous difference to how the week operates. The past two weekends have seen me filling my eco-friendly jute shopping bags with jotters and answer books and dragging them, knuckles scraping the tarmac, round to the car. Even have a wee wheelie case to put them in there are so many! I then seem to spend the entire weekend marking! So much for the teacher only having to work a contracted 35 hour week and having all those holidays!! And I'm still getting into school by 20 to 8 in the morning and not leaving till around 6 of an evening (except Wednesday - Junior Workshop night) It's still at the teething throes in this P6 stage, getting the curriculum pummelled into shape and getting the speed of the class pulled up. Maybe it's just me and my expectations are far too high but I find rather a lot of the children are fairly slow to complete work. Already had a mummy in to see me because her wee precious can't hurry up and complete a times table square in less than 7 minutes!!!! I had Primary 4 kids who could complete one in 3!!!! However, mustn't grumble - at least I'm in work and there are still a few out there with little or no supply work! So, however much I may moan and complain, deep down I'm really enjoying it all - even the hard stuff!!!
Moving on into purple - a Royal colour - I think I should tell you a little bit about the workshop's next venture. We are doing The King and I next March as a joint workshop project. Our theatre is to close and have refurbishments and repairs done, major ones, and while we are closed we needed to find a suitable venue for our individual productions. After much discussion it was agreed that we do this show in the High School as we can incorporate all factions within it. The Juniors are, obviously, the Siamese Children, the Youth will be the Wives and perform the Ballet sequence of 'Little House of Uncle Thomas' and the Seniors will provide the remaining chorus. The parts have finally been cast and we are ready to make our start. I have to think what we'll do with the children for the next week or so until I have time to type up lyrics and figure out how to download the backing tracks from the computer! I think we'll practice movement and singing and I'll get a good look at the girls to find my little princess - the only part still to be cast. (we decided to select from the chorus) In the meantime I suppose I ought to go and get the book and make a start on it now but..... I'm off this weekend (HA!) Monday holiday and while I'll be getting caught up with the dreaded laundry-which-waits-for-no-man, I'll also be getting my register typed up and the lyrics for the children typed and printed into booklets.
So I'd better trundle away up the stairs and get on with a wee bit of whatever before I fall thankfully into my cosy, warm pit and drift off into blissful slumber, safe in the knowledge that out there, there are chip shops, Indian and Chinese restaurants and other fast food emporiums so that I don't have to actually cook tomorrow!!!
Till next time!

No comments: