Sunday 16 August 2009

Time vanishes in a flurry

It's late and I'm supposed to be heading off to bed - big day tomorrow, going into town to a book signing. I'm not a particular fan of the artiste involved but the girls are keen. So it's up and at 'em and Devil take the hindmost.
Had an odd sort of holiday, with no teaching job in the offing I've been exercising my ulcer and stress muscles over the past few weeks. Have managed to get onto the supply register for Borders region and that is good, but I still have to have a disclosure check done, they can take weeks, before I can actually do any supply work. West Lothian has nothing coming up and South Lanarkshire are ditto. I've been very fortunate that friend Rosemary has given me holiday cover shifts in her bakery - I've had fun and earned a few bob but it's hot and heavy work at times - I don't know how she does it day in, day out! I'm still hoping a miracle will ocur and that I'll get a post in a school that will develop into a permanent one! But I've rabbited on about this before and so should find other things to blog about. Or even to rant about as I am wont to do in here! My most recent annoyance is that the Panto I've been working on, along with a whole production team, has been pulled. Not because it was no good, but because the refurbishment of the theatre is now actually going ahead. This is a two edged blade for me; on the one hand while I'm delighted that at last we will be getting the, well, quite frankly, desperately needed, work done on the Corn Exchange, the Workshops' autonomous use of the building will be no more. The community use of the building will see to that. While this is good for the community I see it as being a bit of a knell for the workshop, which will no longer be able to operate in the way it has done for years - putting on less well known and even experimental productions which stretched the membership and helped them grow as performers. Instead productions will need to bring in as near to capacity audiences as possible in order to pay for the hire of the theatre and so on and so forth. My pet peeve is that the rewrite I did of the Panto included topical material which will not be remotely usable next year - that's if we do it next year of course, I may get gazumped and find myself pushed out to make way for other productions... My Junior workshop show has also been affected as the theatre will not be open in time for our usual calendar slot in March. Instead we have to go into April, after the Easter holidays, which is not good, you always lose ground over a holiday and the older members are involved in the Gala and the practices for that begin immediately after the Easter hols, so it is a potentially lose/lose situation for the show. As always, I will endeavour to remain positive and upbeat, but one can only have the rug pulled out from under so often before one says "enough is enough"
It is now very well past my bedtime and so I must go and get some shuteye - I started reading a book last night and have no recollection at all of what I read, so I might just go and have another scan over it and see if anything is familiar.
Till next time.

No comments: